A kidney stone is a hard object that is made from chemicals in the urine. There are four types of kidney stones: calcium oxalate, uric acid, struvite, and cystine.
The symptoms could be one or more of the following:
- Severe pain on either side of your lower back
- More vague pain or stomach ache that doesn't go away
- Blood in the urine
- Nausea or vomiting
- Fever and chills
- Urine that smells bad or looks cloudy
The doctor may recommend some diagnostic tests to confirm the presence of stones and determine their size, location, and number. Here are some diagnostic tests –
- Imaging tests – Includes abdominal X-rays, ultrasound, MRI, and CT scans.
- Blood tests – To examine the contents of calcium, phosphorus, uric acid, and electrolytes.
- Blood urea nitrogen (BUN) and creatinine – To determine any abnormal functioning of the kidneys.
- Urinalysis – To assess urine contents and indicate any bacteria, blood, etc.
There are four different surgical methods of kidney stone removal depending on the size, number, and location of the stone. These treatment methods are recommended when the medications are ineffective against kidney stones. Different surgical methods for kidney stone removal include the following –
- RIRS(Retrograde IntraRenal Surgery)
- Mini PCNL
- ESWL(Shockwave Lithotripsy)
Make an appointment at the best urology clinic in Delhi and NCR with Dr. Atul Jain for consultation on your urological issue.
Call With Doctor